Among the myriad of ways to enjoy a leisurely summer day in Portland, from Edgefield outdoor concerts to wandering around an air conditioned OMSI or Evergreen Aviation Museum exhibit (then jumping into their pool and water slide!), or even taking advantage of $2 Tuesdays at the Oregon Zoo, we've gathered Grove’s top 5 favorites!
5) For those of us in the rainy Northwest, we try to prolong our time outdoors as much as possible when the weather is nice and sunny, so what better way to do that than camping! Mike embraces all sorts of camping, including car camping, beach camping, and the more intense “hiking into a forest and setting up camp” camping. Regardless of the approach, he finds beer is a camping necessity! More on that later...
4) Tommy enjoys his summers with some old school pizzazz a la Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer - he floats down rivers! All you need is a large rubber tire, a rope (to tie onto your partner’s tire or to trail a 6-pack of brewskies - seeing a trend here?), some sunglasses, and don’t forget your SPF! Tommy’s favorite is actually a bit South of here - the McKenzie River, it runs through Eugene, Oregon - home of his alma mater, University of Oregon. A river float anywhere around these parts are peaceful and beautiful in the warming PDX Spring and Summer.
3) Joe looks forward to summer bicycling tours with his lady friend. Ooh la la! This year they are taking a few close friends with them up to the San Juan Islands and perhaps even up to Victoria B.C. They’ll take the train up and then ride around the islands and explore all the natural beauty and serene of the upper Pacific Northwest.
2) Oregon’s Brewers Festival or, as it’s more commonly known, “Brewfest!” (There were more than a few resounding cheers of agreement to this suggestion from our Grove team.) 20 styles of handcrafted Beer, sun, fun, and free admission! A souvenir mug is required to taste the beers for $6, and beer is purchased with wooden tokens ($1 = one token). Coming to you the last full weekend of July!
1) And our number one favorite thing to do in Portland on a summer day is just simply being out and about in the sun (unless you’re Yuji, in which case you’ll be indoors playing video games all day, like Diablo III). It’s one of life’s simple pleasures that we never take for granted! Whether you, like Mary, can’t wait to bike without your rain gear and fenders to avoid splashing water and mud on your back; or, like Kim, will be living at a nearby park (Laurelhurst or Colonel Summers) reading, picnic-ing, bbq-ing, or walking and running; or, like Ken, will be seeking out new secret swimming holes (he wouldn’t reveal his secrets!) to jump off of cliffs in, there are plenty of things to do in the beautiful city we call home!
Sylvia Choi is a member of the Customer Service triumvirate with a penchant for correcting spelling errors. She wishes she had superhero powers to fight against modern day slavery. For now, she aims to be a voice for the voiceless.